26 references to Shakespeare, Kirkdale, Liverpool
Searching for Ethiopia Street on a 1907 Ordnance Survey map of Kirkdale, Liverpool map when I came across them.
Liverpool street names. I already knew of a few Kirkdale streets with references to Shakespeare, but until I had a good look, never realised how many. Out of the 26, I would say 24 are spot on. There are two which are a bit tenuous. You be the judge.
1. Viola is the central character of Twelfth Night. She disguises herself as a boy and calls herself “Cesario”, to serve on Orsino’s staff. Viola falls in love with Orsino, but Orsino is in love with Olivia, and Olivia falls in love with Cesario.
2. Bianca is the younger sister of Katherine in The Taming of the Shrew. She is loved by Gremio and Hortensio, and eventually marries Lucentio.
3. Orlando is the male romantic lead in As You Like It.
4. Cardinal Wolsey in Henry VIII.
5. Othello is the title character of Othello. A Moorish general in the Venetian army, he is persuaded by Iago that his wife Desdemona is having an affair with Michael Cassio.
6. Macbeth is the central character in Macbeth. Influenced by the prophecies of three witches, he murders Duncan to take his place as king of Scotland.
7. Juliet is a title character in Romeo and Juliet. The daughter of Capulet, she falls in love with Romeo, the son of her father’s enemy Montague, with tragic results.
8. Romeo is a title character in Romeo and Juliet. The son of Montague, he falls in love with Juliet, the daughter of his father’s enemy Capulet, with tragic results.
9. Portia is the central female character in The Merchant of Venice. She disguises herself as a lawyer in an attempt to thwart Shylock’s attempt on Antonio’s life.
10. Beatrice is a central character in Much Ado About Nothing. She falls in love with Benedick.
11. Benedick is a central character in Much Ado About Nothing. He falls in love with Beatrice.
12. Olivia is a countess, loved by Orsino but in love with Cesario (the male persona of Viola) in Twelfth Night.
13. Rosalind is the central character of As You Like It. She spends the bulk of the play in exile in the Forest of Arden disguised as a boy called Ganymede.
14. Hermia loves Lysander, and is loved by Demetrius, at the start of A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
15. Jessica is Shylock’s daughter in The Merchant of Venice. She elopes with Lorenzo and converts to Christianity.
16. Celia is Rosalind’s companion and cousin, and is daughter to Duke Frederick in As You Like It.
17. Priam (myth) is the king of Troy in Troilus and Cressida.
18. Hector (myth), son of Priam, is the Trojans’ champion in Troilus and Cressida.
19. Ajax (myth) is the (sometimes foolish) champion of the Greeks in Troilus and Cressida.
20. Shakespeare’s Titus Andronicus was influenced by Seneca’s play Thyestes, where Thyestes, son of Pelops, King of Pisa was exiled by Pelops for the murder of their half-brother, Chrysippus.
21. Miranda is the 15-year-old daughter of Prospero in The Tempest. She falls in love with Ferdinand.
22. Iris (myth) is depicted by a masquer in The Tempest.
23. The Greek name Pallas Athena literally means “Spear Shaker” or Shake Spear”
24. Hero falls in love with Claudio in Much Ado About Nothing. She is wronged by Don John and Borachio, and is abandoned at the altar, and left for dead, by Claudio.
25. Ursula is a maid in Much Ado About Nothing.
26. Antonio is the title character, although not the central character, of The Merchant of Venice. Shylock claims a pound of his flesh.